Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Stefan Reports from Europe #2

Hey Guy's,
Lots of news to cath up on from home but just have a few moments to send a quick update. Thanks for all the emails and congrats to the staff on GB and to Kirsten on the house in Nanaimo ... sweet! I hope the superstars did great at nationals!!! Okay ... my quick update and then I will send you more info with pictures later in the day ....

The race in Austria was wicked ... but SOOO HARD! The course was brutal, but so fun. The swim was cold, but in an amazing mountain lake, the bike was steep, with some really tough but fun downhills, and it covered grass, pavement and major mud so I think we did a bit of everything. The run, well, it was darn hard too ... with a HUGE climb up to this waterfall each lap and a really steep and slippery descent. I had a good race ... a great half ... and a tougher half ... and as for my transition, damn, I can't believe it but everytime I put my shoe on my insole bunched up??? Finally I started to run like this until I realized I could not anymore ... and finally got it fixed. Too bad as this was probably 10th place gone, but then I bonked anyway :-)

The swim was good ... I was on the lead group for about 500m and then faded ... but it went really smooth. The first lap of the bike was great and I got to as high as 4th place (rode with Lebrun for the 2nd half of the first lap and even passed him on one climb and in the mud) but then the fun ended and I started to fade (and make more mistakes). The run too, I was solid for one lap, and then faded again .... so, I think it means I should have done the half race :-) Ah, considering two months ago I figure things are on the up and up. I feel pretty beat up now though, so need to try and loosen up!

Austria was amazing ... it is such a beautiful place here. I will be back there next week as this is right by where TA starts ... ohhhh, that is going to be hard but I think it will be so good for my fitness and maybe will mean that I do not fade as much in the shorter races :-)

I hope everyone is well at home and i will write more soon!
Take care,
Stefan