Monday, January 23, 2006

Cross Worlds Y3 Report #4

Reports #1, #2 and #3 are posted on the Frontrunners Blog: http://frontrunners.blogspot.com


I think I finally shed my jet lag AND I started getting psyched for my next race after watching Norm race Masters Word Championships on Saturday. He had the WORST call up (OK the fourth worst but close enough) but still managed to pull out a great race.

I didn't get a chance to ride the Hoogerheide course Sat because we arrived after dark. We decided to stay in town so I could get up early and check out the course and Norm could help fellow Canadian Mike Bidniak (Juventus) get organized for his Junior race. Apparently the hotel/castle/hostel that we were staying at was a refuge for roosters so we didn't have a problem with the early hour. The course was pretty similar to last year with a few changes that included a second run up, some mud and a few more turns but the major feature was a long open stretch on cobbles that passed through the start finish. Greg Rein (Stevens) and Mike were just finishing up their pre-ride and the fans were starting to show up. They were staking out the best spots on the course, they were hitting the beer garden, they were unfolding their Belgian flags, they were sporting their Sven Nys supporter jackets and the smell of waffles and frituurs was in the air. Ahhhh cyclocross in Europe. SO cool to be a part of it!

Norm pitted for Mike & Ryan so I will let him relay the race report and I am sure you can read more from Ryan at: www.hoppingalong.tk

Last thing I heard before the start: "Rip them a new one Wendy!!" Ann Knapp (Kona). And she looks so innocent!
I still don't have a great call up position on the world cyclocross scene but I managed to have a good start. I found a few little gaps and moved up quite well through the looooooong cobbled start through town. No crashes just a lot of bumping - they race super aggressive over here. Lyne Bessette (cyclocrossworld.com) was just in front of me so I knew she must not have had a great start (uncharacteristic for her!). So I decided to try to stick with her. We were taking completely different lines but both moving up through the group we were with - me cutting the corners tight, her powering the open stretches. I think a small group had gotten a gap but we were in the big chase group that was moving quickly (42km/hr according to the speed trap). I was trying to rest on certain parts of the course so I didn't blow up like last week but the group would get a gap so I had to keep on the gas. Lyne was moving to the front of the group and I was near the back soon to be dropped. But somehow I ended up pulling the next group around the entire open cobbles section (duh). They dropped me as soon as we hit the grass. I was in no-mans land by myself for a long time before a chase group that included Ann Knapp (Kona) and Christine Vardaros (Velo Bella) caught up. Ann always cheers me on when she catches me, but I never have enough breath to do anything but grunt. I jumped in behind Ann and am not ashamed to say that I took some rest behind her 5ft whatever wee frame. It was exactly what I needed to get some life back. I was starting to plan our finish (us Kona girls aren't known for their tactics....). We went through the last mud section together but all of a sudden I looked over and she was DOWN. It was a slick mud that did whatever it liked with you and then spit you out but unfortunately it decided to spit Ann out sideways on the last lap. Too bad because she was so strong at the end of the race and I had been working on our finish plan. I hit the cobbles first but didnt want to tow the pesky French girl on my tail up the hill and around the corner so I let up and she surged ahead. Again not so s-m-r-t on the tactics because I have to be moving fast enough when she passes to stay on her wheel. I spent the rest of the hill and finish chute catching her and trying to sprint pass her but was a few cms shy. 16th place in the end. Not the greatest race but a lot better than last week and a few things to think about for the next week. Cyclocross - always learning.....

1. Daphny van den Brand NED 38:39
2. Hanka Kupfernagel GER 38:39
3. Mirjam Melchers NED 39:08
4. Marianne Vos NED 39:35
5. Maryline Salvetat FRA 39:42
6. Lyne Bessette CAD 39:53
16. Wendy Simms 40:57
26. Stacy Spencer 42:01