Thursday, February 17, 2005

Ross Reports on Cedar

Dear Bastion

Sunday February 13 will stand in history as the best race the Island Series will ever see. The weather was perfect ( though I think God owes us a few on that one ), and Darrell ran a ticketyboo operation from start to finish ( he even baked the apple tarts himself ). There were more marshals than trees in the wood, the finish line looked like it could be raffled off by a Hospital Foundation, the food was excellent and I was particularly impressed by the crack registration crew. Even the runners seemed somehow stronger and nobler and the drivers more considerate and patient. Thanks to all the Bastion members who contributed to Sunday's success, either by volunteering or running.
Unfortunately, we did not have the number of runners we would have liked. And the expenses were more than anticipated. You would not believe the number of things you need to run a race. After you consider the school rental, the catering, the medals and ribbons, the ambulance, the back hoe operator, federal tax, provincial tax, municipal tax, school tax, road tax, bib tax and thumb tax we were left owing $34.27. But I think we can learn from this experience and become a better organization for it next year. Sadly, I must now bid my farewell from you as I have been offered a new job in St. Kitt's. As my last official act I'm appointing Kari as Minister of Spending. God bless you all. Oh, and make sure Steve G has a clean handkerchief Saturday mornings. He gets a runny nose if it gets too chilly.

Thanks for everything,

Ross

p.s. If anyone from Revenue Canada asks, you haven't seen me since last September.