Monday, August 01, 2005

Gillian Reports on the Self Transcendence Triathlon

Yesterday was my first tri in 2 years...and it felt that way. But as always the tough days bring out the best mind games and revelations about why you're there and what you're up to in life.
I wasn't really sure where my swim was going to be, so I placed myself in the fourth heat...which was probably a little slow- but good for confidence building when I caught some of the people in the two heats preceding. I felt really strong in the swim - despite the fact that I had "Electric Youth" by 80's teen diva Debbie Gibson stuck in my head (don't ask!)- it actually had a great beat for swimming ;). My first transition was wickedly slow. Definitely need to practice getting my wet suit off and hustling a little onto the bike (perhaps reclaiming my 'sausage suit' as new buddy from the race, Carolyn would say- we'll see). Onto the bike I knew it would be tough. Mike and I pre-drove the route, and from history I know that if it looks tough in the car- it's gonna be tougher by bike. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised however that the what goes up must come DOWN theory of gravity was in my favour. Most of the hills coming down gave you enough to get up at least 1/2 of the next up. I may have been passed going up (let's not count- as Kathie said I was faster in the swim!) but I sure did make up downhill...clocked up to 65km/h on one! Z-O-O-M. Still had electric youth in my head for the first part of the ride...then finally... "get your motor running, head out on the highway, looking for adventure, and whatever comes my way"...that's right...a little born to be wild- there really is no rhyme or reason to songs in my head- they randomly pop up and usually keep me going whatever they may be! Heading back from the turn around I realized I was pretty far back...and started to get into a mental game...but then my saving grace arrived...yup another song...good old Garth Brooks ..."standing outside the fire...life is not tried it is merely survived when you're standing outside the fire"...pick it up honey -no one ever said this would be easy! The rest of the ride picked up -I even picked off one rider...and I was back into transition (albeit looking a tad bit rough according to
Mike- after- he'd never be so stupid to tell me that during). Off to the
run- better transition. L-E-A-D L-E-G-S. Ugh...doesn't matter how much I practice this transition by doing bricks. Still feels crappy...but...I pushed through and actually did a negative split. With 2.8k to go (one of the MANY kind volunteers informed me) I figured it was time to pick up the pace. KRAP! That's still like a third of the run...what was I thinking...but my 'espresso love' caffeine kicked in and despite REALLY wanting to walk on that last sunny stretch along the bridges I didn't (mostly because I'm stubborn as an ox- and people could see me- how petty).
Came into the home stretch and got cheered in like a champ (thanks Mike and Kathie!).
All in all it was a wonderful 'welcome back' race. The volunteers were fabulous (I did my traditional thank you's out on the course)...and the participants were a lot of fun and friendly! It was a little slower than the last time I did this distance...time was lost primarily in the run.
It's given me new inspiration and new goals.
Whahoo...looking forward to next year and half iron!
Gill