Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Tony reports from the World Triathlon Champs in Hawaii

Aloha FRN.................

AHHHHHH Well that was an adventure.... Windy, HOT, humid, Windy and nothing fun to eat after I finished.... well there was Bagels and Banana's and you know me... "just what I want"
What can I say.... I am dated.... lol the field was large... tons and tons of Americans who have a BIG PC (phyically challenged) kick on now... all young fast and with two good legs... (damn them lol)

Swim: it was still dark when they put us AWAD's in the Pacific Ocean.... but did lightnen up some after we all floated and sang the Star Spangle Banner.... the water was still crazy with swells that seemed to move us up and down, right and left...and before you know it we where off (but where... I chose to where my dark goggles...hmmm good choice again rocket man).... But that was not all that bad as the bottom was all good and by the turn at the other end it seemed light. I guess my swim was like always... I pushed it just to the point where I was having to work.... :) it was a two loop thing... and by the second loop we started to pass the HOT PINK W-55 plus ladies who were just a little slower then me... I swam to the swim exit and swam until I could touch with my hands... but then getting to my feet as another story.... I was a weeble wobbles and he does fall down... TWICE... not sure what my swim time was....

Bike... well it was windy all the way out... and up that ugly hill.... I wish I could ride faster and push harder... but after the first miles or so we where on a nice hwy and that was good riding... Had a problem with some French guy... HELLO BLOCKING>>>>>> so I would pass him on the right... he would not move over.... then he would suck off my wheel... then he would pass me... blah blah blah.... this went on for almost all the second half of the bike... Got ugly and had a freak-out on the way back... the men 60+ went after us so many of them passed us on the bike... zoom zoom zoom... the one guy in RED... no sure where he was from, but had his head down when he passed me... and like 30m up the road a little green car pulled out and he hit it.... not sure if he was breaking or not. But the sound of that and seeing him under the car... he did not go anywhere...he hit and just fell to the ground... I slowed but was told to move on by the police who I guess where not doing a great job of controling that intersection... Needless to say I tried to make eye contact with anyone at each intersection....

Then... came time to dismount.... lol All was good.. I could see Tom ako handler... he had a chair ready for me to take off my braces... but as I got close to the blue dis-mount line I moved over to the far left so I was out of the way and some official jumped out and yelled in my face... something about the blue line... well being in control of everything... I squeezed my front break to no end as I was starting to unstrap my braces... Tony or #2 to the watchers... goes flying over his handle bars to the ground and dismounts his bike the hard way... I was then (while laying on the ground) as to move quickly to T-2. Grunts and gasps I heard as I landed.... I then sat down took off my braces and helmet... as I wanted to see if I cracked yet another one..... hmmmmm then I put back on my helmet and made my way to rack my bike and move on....... You know the other sad thing about being first off is you only get to view the TRIANS on the other side of the road as the ones on your side have yet to form....

Run... HOT... and no that was not the way I was looking.... lol Hello which way is out please? still windy and the run was harsh... lol maybe it is the fact I only really trained 6 km all year... or maybe just because I really didn't do the best at getting ready.. but man did I row fast this summer... lol But it was all good... I had my Strawberry/Banana Power gels and I was set for a run around the park (twice) and then down the main street of Waikiki.... I made the plan not walk even the aid stations.... and managed to keep to the plan... just not all that fast.... Go Canada, Go Canada... go #2... I would just smile and node... I did get a few go Tony which is always nice... And thank god to the old guys who just had to walk.... I think I managed to pass 2 yes TWO guys on the run.... lol... then on the finish... I kept hearing: go, only 150 m.... yeah that was not true... BASTARDS... I don't think I looked like a 1,000,000.00 bucks as I got several golf claps coming in the final "150m"

But over all it is always awesome to run and take part in these events... 1000's of people, faces you think you know... others who know you who you have not clue.... "sorry Amy" and a chance to where your countries colours... Not sure how I did... I heard 6th... which could be DFL in my division... but I started, I worked as hard as my body would let me, and I finished with a "thank you... thank you very much..... smile on my face... In I think just over 3 hours... so about 5 mins slower then Nationals...

But man why could they not have watermellon or cookies... or Vit. C.................
It's all good... and if there is a next time.... I will "try" to do a little more with a little more intensity....

it's sunny and hot here... but Waikiki.... it's no Vancouver Island... nice place to hang for a few days... nothing longer.... but I'd take our island in the Pacific any day.

Cheers Tony T