Thursday, June 29, 2006

ROC Trail Bits 2006 #27

Trail Bits # 26

I'm not sure if you heard, but the Dragon Runners (mainly ROC gals and Dale) walked away with 2nd place overall (lost by 3 tenths of a second) in the final heat against the 3 strongest MIXED teams at the Nanaimo Paddlefest last Saturday. The girls and Dale will be racing again at the Nanaimo Dragon Boat Festival on July 8, 9 and will be one of the strongest teams at the event…..congratulations ladies (and Dale) on your fantastic results. I was sure I could hear all of you screaming as I drove by the inner harbour….such a quiet, reserved bunch of paddlers.

Ø VOLUNTEERS – I am in dire need of volunteers for the GUTBUSTER on July 16th. – This is our second largest fund raising event of the year and so far only 6 people out of our membership of 230 people have volunteered to help out. I am really hoping that everyone is simply procrastinating and that I will still get the usual 30-40 volunteers signed up. If you can help me with the race please let me know sooner than later. If you can volunteer on the day of the event (Sunday, July 16th 8:00 -11:00) or if you can help on either the Saturday or Friday before with trail clearing and trail marking please let me know. I need a dozen or so people on the Saturday evening and another 30 -40 people the day of the race. Please email me back at danbrady@shaw.ca . DO THE DOUBLE - Volunteer at the race and then treat yourself to the Blue Rodeo concert in the late afternoon.

Ø BLUE RODEO – is coming to Nanaimo on July 16th. Don’t delay on your ticket purchase; they are now starting to sell quickly.

Ø The Triathlon of Compassion is happening on July 16, 2006. Online registration is up and running - http://www.vira.bc.ca/compassionregister.php
Race details and info is at http://victoria.frontrunners.ca/events/toc/index.php This is an ROC Victoria event.

Because of the long weekend and the fact that most people I have spoken with will be away this weekend, the run location will be Westwood Lake at 7:00 AM for an easy run of the Lake and Morell.
· GutBuster # 4 – Westwood Lake Half Marathon & 8km – July 16th
· Full (50Km) & Half (25km) Monty Trail Races, Victoria – August 19th
· Log Train Trail Half & Full Marathons, Port Alberni – August 20th
· Lake Cowichan 56K, 16 September


Upcoming Clinics:
Here is the schedule for clinics and classes for July at OBB.
I will pass along more clinic information as I get it forwarded to me.
- Learn to Mtn Bike, July 11th, 6:30PM - learn to safely ride up and down hills and get over small obstacles. (cost is $10)
- Learn to Road Ride, July 25th, 6:30PM - learn the basics of operating your road bike and how to ride with other people. (cost is $10).
- Maintenance Classes, July 10th OR 24th, 6:30PM - learn how to repair a flat, clean and lube a bike, and general maintenance, this clinic is FREE!
For more information and to register, stop by Oak Bay Bikes